Being charged with driving under the influence (DUI) in Ontario is a serious matter and can have severe consequences on your life. If you have been charged with a DUI, it is important to understand your rights and the legal process. Hiring an experienced criminal lawyer who is well-versed in DUI law and defense strategies is essential to ensure that you receive a fair trial and the best possible outcome.
Here are some of the top DUI defense strategies used by criminal lawyers in Ontario:
- Challenging the validity of field sobriety tests: Field sobriety tests are often used by police officers to determine if a driver is impaired. However, these tests can be prone to error and are not always reliable. A criminal lawyer can challenge the validity of the field sobriety tests, arguing that the test was not conducted properly or that the results were inaccurate.
- Challenging the validity of breathalyzer or blood tests: Breathalyzer and blood tests are often used by police officers to determine a driver’s blood alcohol content (BAC). The best criminal lawyer in Brampton can challenge the validity of these tests, arguing that the test was not conducted properly or that the results were inaccurate.
- Medical conditions: A criminal lawyer can argue that a driver’s impairment was caused by a medical condition rather than alcohol or drugs. This defense can be used if the driver has a medical condition that affects their ability to balance or walk, or if they have a medical condition that causes them to have a higher BAC than normal.
- Illegal stop or arrest: A criminal lawyer can argue that the police officer had no reasonable suspicion or probable cause to stop or arrest the driver. If the stop or arrest was deemed to be illegal, any evidence obtained during the stop or arrest may be suppressed, which can weaken the prosecution’s case.
- Entrapment: A criminal lawyer in Brampton can argue that the driver was entrapped by the police officer. Entrapment occurs when the police officer induces a person to commit a crime that they were not otherwise predisposed to commit.
- Misinterpretation of the law: A criminal lawyer can argue that the driver was not aware that their actions were against the law, or that they reasonably believed that their actions were not against the law.
Keep in mind that every case is different, and the best defense strategy will depend on the specific facts of your case. An experienced and the best criminal lawyer Brampton will be able to evaluate your case and advise you on the best defense strategy.
It’s important to remember that a DUI charge is a serious matter and the consequences can be severe. If you have been charged with a DUI, it is important to seek the guidance of an experienced criminal lawyer as soon as possible. A criminal lawyer can help you understand your rights, gather evidence, and represent you in court, if necessary. They can also advise you on the potential outcome of your case and help you navigate the legal system.